Saturday, January 20, 2007

Gedanken Experiment - Backseat Driving

I officially met Kate and Kate, the reigning Queens of ECCC 'cross, at the Casters race in Rhode Island. They asked how long the drive back was... my answer was 4 hours. "I thought it'd be faster," said Kate.

Please note that I dug pretty deep during that race, and pretty much had no ability to process the details of later conversations. Fortunately, both Kates are named Kate, so my story isn't inaccurate. Convenient, eh?

Anyway, I explained that I drive a bit like a grandmother. "Funny, most bike racers drive like they race". Well, duh, that's why I brake on descents, corner like a ming vase, and handle like I'm riding a tricycle.

So I'm not a great driver (at least not in the speed and aggressiveness department). I'm definitely not a great passenger, either. When being driven by certain people (not the least of whom is HermesJenks), I do the whole panicky passenger thing... gripping the door, stomping on an imaginary brake pedal, not breathing.

Certainly, this must annoy the drivers. I wonder, then, if my behavior is based on my own inherent discomfort with high speeds, or if it's something that everyone does, but at different scales.

THE EXPERIMENT:

We take 10 people. Each of them sits in a simulator, not unlike arcade games like Cruisin USA... maybe one that's slightly more realistic.

They run 10 trials on the same course. After each trial, subjects are asked a few questions, like "What was your comfort level", "How well did you drive", all on a 1-10 basis.

Subjects return a week or so later. 3 of the self-made (SELF) trials are selected at random, as are 7 of the 90 exogenous (EXO) trials. Or something like that, maybe 5 and 5. The subject sits in the same simulator, but now watches the videos, reporting on their comfort level and rating the driver. They remain naive to the identity of the driver.

If their rating of the SELF trials decreases significantly from recording to viewing, then that would suggest that passenger discomfort is the result of a lack of control. If, however, we are able to subconsciously identify our own driving, then the ratings shouldn't change much. This would suggest that discomfort is the result of what the individual perceives to be sketchy driving.

So why would I be so uncomfortable when Jenks is driving, but Jenks isn't uncomfortable when other, even crazier guys are driving? I think there's a threshold to it. If self-rating doesn't decrease when we're passengers - ie, if the discomfort is caused by "bad" driving, not passivity - then within our own comfort range, there's probably no perceptible difference between drivers. However, exceed that range (in one direction or the other), and you'll be either crapping your pants or mocking the driver (which is hurtful, by the way).

I don't know how to explain this behavior in the case where self-rating does decrease when we're passingers... the case where passenger-unease is the result of passivity. Maybe it's the same as the above, only the effect of passivity is weighted differently from individual to individual (in which case, I'm still a particularly Nervous Nancy). Or maybe there's some other explanation that lets me save face. Suggestions?

If you would like to fund this experiment, please give me grant money. My advisor and I would thank you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

what if you are made uneasy by overly safe drivers, ahem, Don?

Anonymous said...

Don, you don't need to set up the whole Cruisin' USA experiment. I can pretty much tell you right now that no matter how I drove (over-cautious or over-aggressive), you'd still be stomping the imaginary brake pedal or freaking out about something. It's a feeling of lack of control that's the issue. You need to trust.

megA said...

oh OH this is funny.

funny b/c i drove behind you and funny b/c one unnamed rutgers phder and i were chatting up your driving "issue"

i think you need to drink a few beers, then go driving with one of "US" then it'll be ok