Friday, May 25, 2007

Karaoke Etiquette

There are a number of non-trivial rules that govern Karaoke Night. Some of them are unintuitive, like the "no Journey or 'Say It Ain't So' before midnight" or "only good songs" rule. I don't expect the novices to know these rules yet, and there's some leeway. No worries, Charlie, you rocked Weezer.

There are, however, some rules that should be completely obvious to all parties. For example, common courtesy dictates that if you have to bribe the Karaoke guy (Milky Manchester is our local Karaoke guy) to get your song up next, you're probably going to piss people off. I'm all for tipping the KJ (Karaoke Jockey, get it?), but going 3 times in a half hour is just rude.

Another easy rule is: don't do the Douchebag Shuffle. This dance involves sneaking over to Milky's headquarters, shuffling the song-request slips to put yourself up next, and sneaking away. You can just go to hell and die if you're that selfish.

If you want to know about how your favorite NinjaDon (that's me!!!) did at the Karaoke, you'll be pleased to know that I took 'Total Eclipse of the Heart' to a new level. I danced, I sang, I screamed... I sang the last line on the floor, in the fetal position, with my thumb in my mouth. Top that, hotshot.

The highlight had to be riding my new fixie home, absolutely drunk. Between the giant curb at the start of the bridge across the Raritan River, the hilly walkway at the entrance to Busch campus, and the many, many beers I drank, the ride home was an adventure.

SpikyHairWill, known primarly for his spiky hair, had a dilemma. What could he do to protect his intricately coiffed hairdo from the ravages of helmet-head? This question has been answered by our good friends at Scrubs.

2 comments:

Milky Manchester said...

I've resolved that, despite my impoverished lifestyle, I should limit the number of times someone can buy their way to the front of the line. I can attest to your stellar performances last week, keep bringin' the A-game to karaoke!

Don said...

oh man, erik, that was not my intention. sometimes people insist on playing for team d-bag. if that irritates drunk-don, so be it... you should take advantage of the bribery, not discourage it!

thanks for testifying. my return next week will be triumphant. a hint: the 80s shall rise again.