Friday, June 22, 2007

Uneventful Drive and Birthday Workout

Uneventful Drive

Normally, an uneventful drive would not be worth writing about. However, en route to the same location a year ago, my car started shimmying so violently when braking that it became hard to control. My advisor was taking the train into town, and I had to pick him up, so a scramble ensued. I rented a car at an airport 30 miles away (rather, my labmate did, as I am still but a wee lad), took my car to a local-yokel mechanic, then hustled to pick up my advisor at the train station. Everything worked out okay, but man oh man was I freaked out.

This year... completely uneventful. Phew.

Birthday Workout

So today is my birthday. Huzzah! Luckily, this conference includes a 6 hour break between the first and second sessions, which is perfect for meals and workouts. I knew from last year that the roads here are too narrow and busy for running, let alone riding, so there would be no birthday ride.

Still, I wanted to do something special for myself during today's break. So here's what I did:
  • 240 1-legged squats (per leg)
  • 240 crunches
  • 240 back extensions
  • 240 sec of wall-sits
  • 240 pushups
I did everything in multiples of 12. To be perfectly honest, the pushups were not so great. Even done 12 at a time, my arms were shot after 100. After 200, not even cheating worked. The last 40 were just about the ugliest "pushups" I've ever done, but by god I did 'em!

Tomorrow I'll run for 24 minutes. Maybe if I was still a triathlete I'd run 24k, but that's just silly. Next year, I'd like to ride 250k. Who's in?

You know what? I think that tonight, I'll drink 2.4 beers. If you know me, you know that's all I need.

6 comments:

megA said...

happy birthday sweetness!!!!

now, let's eat some cake!

xo
m

gwadzilla said...

yes
happy birthday

you seem weird
I wish I was so weird

I wish my quirks made me more fit

gwadzilla said...

maybe it is your aim to be fit that is your quirk

TheJenksster said...

i will TOTALLY do 250k with you next year!

Mark said...

Big money workout...you do it for time? Bad news about your birthday though...it's all downhill from there.

megA said...

gwad--you are weird too

your quirks make you a prolific writer

xo
m