Saturday, June 16, 2007

Verrazano

On the way back from today's race, which we will never speak of again, Harry pointed out that the toll to cross the Verrazano Bridge from Brooklyn to Staten Island was a whopping $9. Isn't the fact that you're driving towards Staten Island punishment enough? What could possibly justify such a price?

"Look at the hand-holds on the big cables. Somebody has to walk up those things. You know they've got to pay him seventeen hundred thousand dollars to do that," answered Jim.

This brought up the hypothetical question of whether any of us would climb the cable that suspends the roadway a dizzying distance above the water (228' to the road, 693' to the tower).

"Hell no," said everyone.

Jim reconsidered. "I'd do it for a million dollars, I guess". This prompted me to think hard, and I decided that I would climb the cable for no less than $10,000. There's something to be said for overcoming your fears, and ten Gs would buy a whole lot of marshmallows (don't ask me why, I'm just jonesing for marshmallows).

Jim continued, "I'd climb it for a million dollars, but only with a parachute, and a backup parachute, and a crapload of bungee cords".

To which I responded, "If I climb it, all I'll need is a diaper"

2 comments:

Flanimal said...

Dude.
Verrazano In. Manhattan out. The Tunnels are free in the NJ direction.

Since I guess nobody is ever racing NYC again, this information is useless.

Gee Whiz. Don, Admit it. It was frustrating, but you had fun. We were riding our bikes man. It was beautiful out. Go on, admit it. . .

Dan

TheJenksster said...

Diaper? Sounds like you all needed a Shop-Vac.

I kid, I kid!