Friday, July 20, 2007

Karaoke's Silver Lining

AngryMark has better sideburns than you

The rumors are true. Johnson and Johnson interns are ruining karaoke. They had the potential to be great, but indeed they are not. They are microphone hogs, they are bathroom-blockers, and they seem to have committed themselves to homogeneity. Their song selections show that they don't understand the fundamental difference between irony and poor taste.

I submitted a song selection to be sung by "Rutgers Cycling Team". A bunch of our guys had gone home, but there were still enough of us to rock out. As we started singing Say It Ain't So, I realized that between the 4 of us, there were 2 microphones. Where was the third mike?

Then I heard it. A rhythmic "uh, uh, rutgers cycling, let's hear it". Two of the J&J guys had hung on to a mike and were rapping. Milky Manchester, being a very hands-on Karaoke Guy, turned their mike off.. but we still wanted a 3rd mike for ourselves, as is our Constitutional right. Look it up.

Will, who was mikeless, asked them to hand it over. They said no, so Will and I started making fun of them on my mike... very passive-aggressive, but funny enough.

For reasons I'm not sure of, right around "I can't confront you" (how fitting, right?), Jay and I simultaneously decided to get aggressive-aggressive. I gave Will my mike, and the two of us went over to the J&J guys and demanded their ill-gotten mike.
Will and his "cowbell" during Don't Fear the Reaper

Now, Jay and I are not very imposing figures. Our combined weight is about 280. We had just been singing rather goofily, which is not particularly intimidating to most people. Still, we flipped the switch from "fun" to "intense", and we got right in the J&J guys' faces. They surrendered the mike.

We almost got in a fight over a microphone. How ridiculous is that?

There certainly was a silver lining too all of this, though. How bad can a night be when there's good beer, great friends, karaoke, and Tour de France coverage on a bigscreen? From Vino's attack with 4k to go until Hunter's winning sprint, we screamed at the TV to the confusion of everyone in earshot. It was great.
Jay and Mike sing as Jenks listens/watches the Tour

1 comment:

Mark said...

gimmie the mic or I'll give you a peddlin' you won't soon forget!

Next time, cut off one of their fingers. That'll work too.