Monday, July 02, 2007

Suit Up!

I'm still not ready for weddings. I'd say that I've only been to three weddings since becoming an adult - the Nutsy-Clarissa wedding, the Diak-Kristen wedding, and now the Sparks-DU wedding... however, that would be a lie, because I don't really think of myself as an adult yet.

Perhaps the best barometer for all of this is my history with wedding gifts...

There was Nutsy's wedding, my sophomore year, when I gave Rob $20 to be able to add my name to the gift he'd remembered to buy. I don't know what the gift was. I only remember being terribly uncomfortable during the ceremony, then having a bunch of Phi Psis and Alpha Phis taking pity on Hammad and me, the 20 year olds who got carded at the reception, by giving us way-too-many drinks.

Then there was the Diak wedding. This was in December 2006, so it was more recent. Was I more prepared? Not really. There were about 8 of us running around Target at 8pm the night before the wedding, scrambling like highly-motivated, headless chickens. With a dozen items left on the registry, eight of us, and a not-yet-restocked Target, it was quite an adventure. I was terribly uncomfortable during the ceremony, but the reception was a big Phi Psi reunion and I had a blast.
Don and GI Mark at Diak's reception

Saturday was the Diaks' 6mo anniversary

This past Saturday, I went to Sparks' (now the Archers') wedding as my friend Liz's plus-one. Once again, we waited until 24 hours to go (i wanna be sedated) to buy a gift. Once again, I was terribly uncomfortable during the ceremony... has anyone else noticed that the infamous Corinthians 13:4-8 ("Love is patient and kind; love is not jealous or boastful...") sounds like a Pat Benatar song? Love is a battlefield!

My biggest concern, though, was which tie to wear.
You'll be glad to know that I went with the boring tie. I'm getting old.

These are my sisters. Little Sister (aka Shoshi) is on the left. Big Sister (aka Peggy) is on the right.
Can't you see the family resemblance?

Liz and I have been close friends since 2002. We shared an apartment with Meyer and Ed (the latter, by the way, is married and in Arizona now) our senior year. There are exactly two pictures of the two of us. The first was taken in 2004. The second was taken on Saturday.

So, no more weddings for a while, thankyouvery much. However, I may have to Suit Up! in the near future, if only because I look damn good in formalwear.

No comments: