Monday, August 20, 2007

The best things in life are free, or at least cheap

I am not a wealthy man. Life is comfortable enough, of course. Still, I don't exactly fly to Vegas in a private jet for a weekend of high-stakes poker on a regular basis. Instead, my jollies come in the form of low-budget adventures, with a strong emphasis on exploring the back-roads of NJ and consuming as much food as possible.

Saturday:
9am - Ride to and from Princeton with about a dozen Hermutgerses, stopping for coffee halfway through.
1pm - Lunch in Highland Park with Jenks, Andy, the Kassassin, and new guy Anthony. In skin-tight, brightly-colored, glorious spandex.
2pm - Catatonic stupor on the couch
5pm - BBQ at Jay #1's house. He served steak, chicken, and rabbit. Many wabbit season jokes were made. Also, there was a keg of Sierra Nevada beer.

Sunday:
9am - Ride with Todd, Angrymark, Kassassin, and Beastmaster. 70 hurty miles, aptly named the "cock and balls" loop.
2pm - Catatonic stupor on the couch
4pm - Nintendo party at Jenks' apartment, with a strong emphasis on throwing grenades at each others' faces.
10pm - The conclusion of a long game of phone tag. Totally worth the wait.
10:30pm - Blueberries. Applesauce. Last but not least, ice cream.

Total cost to me: not much at all.

Yes, this weekend has been fantastic. Wait, I can do that better. This weekend has been fantastic. Now that I've written this all out, one thing becomes very clear: With the exception of today's dessert, which was bound for greatness mostly because of the ice cream, this weekend's awesomeness was unmistakably correlated to the time I spent with my friends.

Gawd, that was sappy.

P.S. I hadn't used the word "awesome" or one of its variants in a week. A week is too long. I was starting to go through withdrawl.

No comments: