Sunday, December 09, 2007

My Brother, My Muse

Every artist has his favorite medium. For Michaelangelo, I think it was marble, maybe. For Raphael, it was probably paint, I guess. I know for sure that Donatello definitely favored the bo-staff.

While I'm obviously a big fan of the written word, perhaps my most inspired work has been with a camera. More specifically, it has been photography of my younger brother, who will likely hate me after seeing this post. That's a risk I'm willing to take.

Just as the artist has his medium, the model has his Look. You may recall Zoolander's Blue Steel. Well, my brother's Look puts Blue Steel, Le Tigre, and even Magnum to shame.

My brother's look transcends naming, but if I had to give it a title, it would probably "Shove That Camera Up Your Ass", or STCUYA for somewhat-short.

Even in its earliest incarnations, STCUYA was an instant classic. Full of passion and fratricidal rage, it has the power to freeze me in my tracks to this very day. Back then, it lacked the discipline that would refine later versions of the Look, but it was still a doozie.

Over time, STCUYA evolved into a sophisticated, multi-layered Look. It still clearly expresses exactly what my brother wants me to do with my camera, but by drawing back slightly, he's added a subtle flavor of intrigue. This was a boy who did not want to be interrupted while reading the TV Guide.

I'm glad to report that I haven't lost my touch, nor has my brother. At Thanksgiving a few weeks ago, STCUYA made its most recent appearance over dinner. The indignation is plainly written on his face, but now it's so inconspicuous, so understated, as to be poetic.

STCUYA has progressed from a glared warning of my impending doom in a flurry of tiny child-fists to a profound insinuation of intense distaste. Eyes that once screamed STCUYA now simply whisper it. It is the very definition of art.

I'll take my Pulitzer now, thank you.

1 comment:

Mandy said...

don!
i have missed you and your humor so!!!! thanks for adding levity to this otherwise drab day. well, except for the fact that i woke up next to sven. you are jealous, i know. thanks for recapping your brother's look for us. awesome!