Friday, January 11, 2008

I accept your challenge, IHOP

After mocking Will for eating too many pancakes in his lifetime, I found myself jonesing for pancakes. In what can only be described as a miraculous coincidence, Aaron proposed that we go to IHOP. It didn't take much to convince me.

Did you know that IHOP has an "All You Can Eat Pancakes" deal going on right now? Oh yes. They do. The gauntlet was thrown, and I did not back down.

My final tally was not what it could've been. I'll chalk that one up to the persistent headache, for the most part. What really got me out the door, though, was my outrageous faux pas.

Aaron and I had taken great care to watch our language, as a family with impressionable children was in the booth next to us. Somehow, I missed the family with impressionable children seated behind me. When the booth to my left emptied, I figured I was in the clear.

I won't disclose the nature of my gaffe in this post, because it was just so wildly inappropriate. I'd like to think it would've made Tucker Max proud - which doesn't exactly make me proud.

Both the 10 year old boy and his father, seated directly behind me, spun around. I didn't see this, but I did see Aaron's delighted reaction. Inspired by every sitcom ever made, I leaned forward and whispered "there's a child behind me, isn't there?"

The ensuing laughter (ours, not theirs... they didn't laugh) made my poor pancake-filled stomach hurt. Thankfully, the family chose to turn the other cheek, bless their merciful hearts. Aaron flagged down the waiter, as I was still too mortified to turn around, and we paid the check in record time.

If you were to ask me in person what I said that was so horrific, I just might tell you. Maybe.

No comments: