Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Weekend Update

Throughout the weekend, I kept thinking to myself "this event alone is worth a blog post". Well, it's Monday now, and as I sit down to write a little something for you, it is just too much.

Conceding defeat, I will update you on my weekend in the form of listed blurbs. Sorry. But hey, there are some pictures! So, that'll be swell!

+++My friend Jamie directed a play, The Pillowman. It was a low-budget college production, and there were only seven actors. I attended on Friday night, and I was very, very impressed. Jamie warned me beforehand, "this is a dark comedy... very dark", and she was right. The play's drama swept me up, it was riveting and moving and profoundly disturbing. I found myself laughing, but feeling guilty for laughing... that's probably what they were going for, so kudos to them. Also kudos for their endurance; the scenes were each about 45 minutes long!

+++Jamie had also invited me to the cast party, held at her house. I know her housemates from the Karaoke, so I was looking forward to it... until they told me that the theme was "No Clothing". Nudity was also banned, but the clothes had to be made of material that is not clothing, so skin was an inevitability. I've been to toga parties, blacklight parties, and Hungry Hungry Hippos Parties, but I'd never been to a party like this. Fortunately, I am quite comfortable with near-nudity, and my evening in a cardboard loincloth was an absolute blast.
Note the cardboard sixpack

+++I had to leave early, because I was racing in Philadelphia on Sunday. And by "early", I mean really f'in late. They say that what matters is how much sleep you get two nights before the race, and I woke up on time, so no harm done. The race was exactly what I expect from a collegiate race, and my fitness is exactly where I expect it to be at this time of the year. My performance on the penultimate climb has me optimistic, knock on wood. Also, I proved that a faux-hawk can survive an hour in the team's new Rudy Project helmets, thus making them the best helmets ever.

+++Still gross from the race - the young'uns asked me repeatedly to clean the snot off my face, and these are guys whose tolerance for grossness is unprecedented - I drove to Bensalem to meet up with Shoshi, my "little sister" from Case Western Reserve. We went to Neshaminy Mall (is it weird that I was excited to be near Neshaminy? No, it is not) for smoothies and coffee. I groaned and creaked like an old man, but it's been 15 months since I got to see Shosh, so I was beside myself.
+++Then I had to say goodbye, because there were things to do back in Jersey.
This photo breaks my heart every time I see it. I hate saying goodbye to my little sister.

+++After a much-needed shower, I was ready for my weekly man-date with Jay #1. It was business as usual, by which I mean we ate, drank, and were merry. It is a fantastic tradition we have going, if only because exotic beers are half-off on Sundays at Old Bay. Also, Jay's not so bad to hang out with. Also there was a band.


------------------------

In an email tonight, Jamie said "I hope your lack of sleep... didn't affect your performance at your race!" It was a sweet sentiment, but there is only one possible reply:

Oh please! This weekend was an adventure, and a rare one at that. I can't imagine sacrificing any one part of it, even for the benefit of another.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I saw The Pillowman at Case when a friend did it, and it is VERY dark, but good.

It was good to see you big brother and I enjoy the picture swiping. The first picture of us is my favorite.

I may become a regular blog reader, because I'm sorry to say I was not before, unless you directed me to it.

- Little sister

josh said...

ABC party - anything but clothes....duh!