Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Aaah, tabula rasa

This is one of my favorite things to see:
Who would you like to be today? it asks. The obnoxious brat who indulges in hyperbole, perhaps, or maybe the heartfelt sap-monger just dripping with humility. Something in between, for a change of pace?

What game would you like to play today? Try to write a race report that isn't identical in every way to every race report written by every bike racer ever, that's always a challenge. Then again, it might be nice to write a post about science, about my research or some article, that isn't profoundly boring to anyone who isn't obsessed with my little niche.

The game boils down to writing a post that doesn't bore, confuse, or offend the majority of my audience... a task made all the more difficult - and resultantly fun - by the blankness of the blank slate.

I can lie, I can wander, I can waste as much or as little space and time as I want. I just can't write about my students, girls, or anything related to the chamois area... this is a civilized society we live in, after all.

It's my little sandbox, and I get to build whatever type of castle I want. It's my little corner of the universe, internet-wise. There's no editor, no adviser, neither deadlines nor grades. Oh man, this is nice.

No comments: