Friday, July 04, 2008

Thank you, Estelle, for not singing about the War in Iraq

I shouldn't care about this, because it's from an anonymous Top 5 list from some third-tier internet magazine. One of my friends posted it on Facebook, and it so irritated me that now I'm blogging about it. On some fourth-tier internet blog.

From the article, which is about the top 5 songs of summer 2008:

Eminently hummable, lighter than helium, and generously uncritical of the United States' foreign policy and obesity epidemic, "American Boy" is everything we could ask for in a summer anthem


"generously uncritical of the United States' foreign policy"

It takes some serious cojones to critique foreign policy in an article about music. Perhaps this is why the article is anonymous?

Has it ever been so common for such non-expert authors to go so far off-topic to disparage the policies of the government? Rather, has that sort of flippant faux-expertise ever been so widely accepted?

I know that at least one reader of this blog is writing a thesis about anonymous authors, and so I'm willing to wager that he has something to say... seriously, please chime in.

No comments: