Thursday, August 21, 2008

Operation Eat Lots

It's not like I'm undernourished. I don't have eating disorders, despite what you may have heard.

It's the headaches. I started getting these hellacious headaches a few hours after every meal, the sort that are generally reserved for when my brother pontificates on politics, or when Jay cracks puns, or when Will talks.

I'm not myself between meals - crankier, more absent-minded, downright stupider. My face pales, becomes gaunt and hollow. Hardly the Ninja-like lifestyle to which your humble scribe has grown accustomed.

Also, bike rides haven't felt good since June. There's no snap in the legs, no crackle. Whatever happened to my pop?

After a few weeks of this daily pattern, I think I've figured out what the cause is: I don't eat enough. Not nearly enough.

That in mind, yesterday I went to the grocery store and bought $200 worth of food. It should last a week and a half, maybe two. I've spent the past two days, or at least the waking hours therein, eating every 2 hours.

It's bliss.

In two weeks, it'll be time for a self-check. If the new plan has worked, and I'm not getting the headaches and grouchiness, then I'll keep it up. Otherwise, I'll have to go to the doctor or something? Ugh.

Status, as of day 2:
No headaches, better mood, better sleep, and good sensations on the bike. Work is even going better, which is nice.




Having written all of this, I'm tempted to erase it. I have too many friends with body issues, who will silently hate me for being able to say "I don't eat enough. Even when not hungry, I will force food down my gullet". Too many friends who're trying to keep their weight down, that they might ride uphill fast enough to win next Saturday's Tour de Cat 3.

So I apologize if your feelings have been hurt by my dilemma. I just want the headaches to go away.

1 comment:

Mandy said...

um...yes, i do hate you