Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Typical

Monday was just a delightful little microcosm of this summer. With the exception of karaoke, there's pretty much nothing I've done in the past few months that didn't make an appearance yesterday.

For example. I started the day revising my thesis proposal. I also ended the day revising my thesis proposal. PARTY!!!

I went on a nice long ride in the afternoon, stopping in Princeton for some ice coffee and returning by way of Dogjump. You really can't ask for more on a holiday weekend; empty roads, minimal wind, blue skies, and ice coffee.

Of course, as has been typical of the summer, I got a flat tire. I've learned my lesson since the 24 Hour fiasco, and I had two spares. In fact, I even had two tire levers, in case one snapped.

Both snapped. Typical.


Luckily, Cara had two levers of her own, both of which survived, and we were on our way again.

Once in Princeton, we set about negotiating traffic on Nassau en route to the Small World coffee shop nearest the University. Sight-seeing, like. It was great, until an SUV inexplicably stopped short.

Now, I've had low-speed collisions with the back of a stopped car before. They're not a big deal, generally scarier for the driver than for me. Like any racer, I have extensive experience with coming to a sudden stop without losing control. This shouldn't have been a problem.

Unfortunately, I decided in the last second to try to hop up on to the sidewalk, rather than totally stop. With not enough momentum and from an awkward angle, I attempted to lift my front wheel. It was not quite successful.

Again, no big deal... how many times have I bobbled over an obstacle while off-road without a problem? Lots of times. This shouldn't have been any different.

Somehow - really, I have no idea how the mechanics of this event worked out - somehow I ended up clipping my leg with my chainring.

For those who aren't in the know, a "Cat 5 Tattoo" is what happens when you accidentally rub your chain along your calf. More experienced riders shouldn't let their chains anywhere near their legs, and should also know better than to let their chains get so dirty as to make a big greasy stain. Cat 5 Tattoos are embarrassing, the mark of a wet-behind-the-ears novice, and should be avoided at all costs.

So I reached to rub the schmutz off my calf, and my hand came away covered in red.

The cuts didn't hurt at all... except for my pride.

Cat 5 Scabs

What is it with my bikes this summer?

All in all, I give this ride a 9 out of 10. With the exception of epic climbs and vicious games of cat-and-mouse, it had everything I could want in a workout. As has been the case this summer, the good has been accompanied by a handful of, shall we say, bonus... this extra does little to erase all that good, but it certainly does tip the balance in the wrong direction.

Today's the first day of the new semester... so, this sounds like as good an opportunity as ever to start a new chapter. One in which I don't run myself over.

Aaaaaaaaaand go...

No comments: