Saturday, September 20, 2008

Why I didn't race today

So I was on my commuter bike in New Brunswick, riding from the lab to meet some friends for Happy Hour. The bike is a fixie, meaning it has only one speed and can't coast.

Somehow, my pants got caught between the chainring and the chain. This stopped the crank from moving... and since this is a fixie, this stopped the bike. Suddenly.

I flew over the front of the bike before I even realized what was happening. Luckily - very luckily - I didn't try to break my fall with my hands, which would've probably broken my collarbone.

Earning the "ninja" nickname, I dispersed most of the impact with an awkward roll. My hands came up to protectect my face, but the brunt of the force spread over my head, shoulder, and back (actually, my backpack).

At the risk of sounding repetitive, I'll say it again: WEAR YOUR HELMET.

Anyway, I am okay, mom.

Unfortunately, these were my favorite pants.

And this was my favorite skin.

I didn't love of this Nutrigrain bar, though. Crushing it meant nothing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ouch, sorry man.

On the plus side, your pants now have that much more hipster street cred.

Ben said...

That Nutrigrain bar probably had a wife and children, you insensitive clod.