Friday, October 03, 2008

Man enough...

...to admit I'm wrong. Or at least partially wrong.

Karaoke was not ruined yesterday, because the bar filled up soon after the debate ended. Of course, there was a great deal of debate talk, and it was as obnoxious as predicted.

I'm just glad that Karaoke night didn't totally live up to my expectations.

...

Okay, I'll say one thing about trends in the buildup to the election. And only one thing.

Most of the places where I spend my time - a college campus, the internet, and sometimes TV - are full of passion about politics. It is the way of things, and it always has been. Never, though, have I seen so much venomous language about the other side as I've seen in the past few weeks. As if McCain and Palin are the devils themselves - or maybe Obama's the antichrist (thanks for the link, Sal!).

Again, I'm not commenting on the issues, as I think we all know what the candidates' platforms are. The negativity of the candidates' ad-campaigns and podium rhetoric is also beyond the purview of this post. Instead I'm talking about the rhetoric that I hear from the voters themselves, the people on the sidewalk and in the coffee shops and on the interweb fora.

Isn't it time for us to organize? To streamline our talk into a powerful, coherent message; to share in each other's fervor; to concentrate our daily politicking into an efficient experience.

Let's get together at 2pm, everyday. Let's get together and let's just hate. Let's get together and hate for, say, 2 minutes?

1 comment:

Ben said...

That's a dumb comparison to make. We have TWO Parties, not one.

Also, nice pluralization of forum. I approve of your second declension neuter nominative plural.