Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Astrophysics 1, Recreation 0

Remember back in the day, when we met at 7pm and rode for 90 minutes? Well now we have to be out the door at 3 just to scrape out an hour in the saddle. Why? Because of stupid goddamn freakin' physics.

If you tracked the position of the sun at the same time every day for a year, it would trace out a route in the sky, called an analemma. In the summer, the sun would be at the top of the analemma, and there would be plenty of daylight.
Now, though, we're stuck at the bottom. No sooner does the sun creep out from behind the horizon than it gets sucked right back down. Or some less-anthropomorphized version of what I just said.

Sucks for riding, but the analemma sure is pretty, right?

I'd elaborate, but I have to go get ready for my ride. Stupid winter.

Errata: Just as I was getting up from my desk, the adviser walked in to discuss my Sisyphean manuscript. So we worked on it for an hour. No riding outdoors today!

No comments: