Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Locker Room Etiquette

By accident, I forgot my swim bag at home yesterday. I'd left trunks
and a towel in the car, but I didn't have goggles or a lock.

This posed a new dilemma. Not the missing goggles, of course - I don't
mind aquajogging as a substitute for swimming. The question was, what
to do with my clothing while in the water? I chose to stuff them in a
bag and bring it all to the pool.

Every time I go to the gym, I hunt through the aisles for an open
locker. Nine times out of ten, a seemingly available cubby is actually
full, just missing a padlock.

People who leave clothes in lockers and don't bother to secure them
are infuriating. I suppose this counts as a "pet peeve".

Looking at the situation objectively, this shouldn't affect me at all.
Locked or not, occupied lockers are occupied, and there are no fewer
spaces available than if they were all visibly sealed. I have to open
lockers to ascertain their availability, and a glance would have
sufficed if everyone used locks, but that's trivial - I'm neither lazy
nor shy.

It's not even the cycle of dashed hopes ("an open locker? Damn") that
has me so frustrated. What it comes down to is me. It's not THEM, it's
ME.

What kills me isn't inconvenience, nor is it a sense of some great
wrong against me. It is the vivid image that I see, of myself
gleefully tossing clothes and shoes and wallets from unsecured
lockers, that is so aggravating.

It kills me because I'd never do it.

No comments: