Tuesday, June 09, 2009

The Juicebox Conundrum

I am an adult, or at least I think I am. My colleagues have children,
the IRS takes a hefty chunk out of every paycheck, and my hairline is
retreating like the French Army. Which feels pretty grown up to me.

Gone are the simple pleasures of childhood. I don't play in the mud
anymore, or spend frivolously on entertaining gadgets. Certainly I
would never watch cartoons or drink from juiceboxes.

Oh wait... I do all those things!

Juiceboxes are the trickiest to incorporate into my otherwise adult
lifestyle. Its not that I mind how it looks, for a grownup such as
myself to be using such an anachronistic drinking modality. Rather, it
is the serving size of a standard juicebox.

I have a man-sized stomach. Why do they not make a man-sized juicebox?

Playing the hand that cruel, cruel fate has dealt me, I make do with
what I have. More specifically, I use two or three juiceboxes to
quench my thirst.

Herein lies my conundrum: each juicebox comes with its own
individually-wrapped straw. While I only need one straw per sitting,
I find myself using each new box's straw.

Why? Why am I wasting time and energy unwrapping each new straw? Why
am I compelled every time?

No comments: