Wednesday, February 28, 2007

It's That Time of the Year

I race bikes, and I have a blog. I am thus compelled by the Blogging Act of 1804 (actually, the Athletic Endeavor Addendum thereto) to write a blog entry about the bike racing as the season approaches.

The first race of the season is this weekend (see RutgersCycling for my official writeup). It is my first road race since Grant's Tomb last March. It is my first anything race since a rather disappointing 'cross nat's. It is in 3 DAYS.

Oh man.

I am going into this with low expectations, at least on paper. I've been pretty sick, I've yet to do any speedwork since November, and I've yet to finish a collegiate road race without getting dropped. The bar should be low.

And yet for some reason, I still have delusions of grandeur. Unreasonable? Probably (as Will is quick to point out). But oh man, I'm the fittest I've ever been... certainly moreso than last year. My legs feel great, even if my chest is full of mucus. My bike finally fits (see the following picture of me and Tsav, my beloved and now retired bicycle of seasons past, for how bad things were last year).


I have new race wheels and tires. I have the desire to tear peoples' legs off. I am excited.

Are you excited?

2 comments:

megA said...

dude!

didn't your teacher classes teach you anything about low expectations??

aim high, my friend! get excited! it's a long season you have much time to learn and get faster and smarter.

dig it! have fun!

xo
m

ntw said...

Feel the rhythm!
Feel the rhyme
Get on up!

It's bike racing time!

Rutgers Cycling!