Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Bad Day update

As promised, I have forged ahead. These colors may fade, but they never surrender, or something. Vive la revolucion! Damn the torpedoes! Win one for the Gipper!

I'm not so young anymore. I still hadn't fully recovered from the weekend when yesterday hit. I started falling asleep around 1am, and that was bad. With a little help from PhiPsi Sean and my younger brother, and a lot of coaching from FarmerAndy and Maru!, I was able to eek out a few more hours of work. Sometime around 6am, I put my head down on the desk. When my labmates started arriving 2 hours later, it was back to business.

I am not a nerd. I'm a valiant hero, struggling tragically in the name of scientific discovery.

The long, lonely hours have forced me to question my motives. To some degree, I am terrified of failure and the detrimental effects it would entail, especially on my reputation within the deparment. It also has a lot to do with my stubborn streak, and it is probably most correlated to my deeply-rooted masochism.

So I've spent 35 of the past 36 hours in the lab. My notes have sleep-related drool stains on them. I got a nosebleed during an afternoon data collection session. I'm more than a little bit punchy.

The good news is that I'm pretty close to back on track. Starting from scratch yesterday morning, I've shown with statistical certainty that Ruffini's corpuscles strongly influence generalization of proprioception. That poster is almost done. Want to see some pretty pictures?
Screenshot!

Post-Adaptive Force Myography!


This is probably not good for my training. Or whatever.

I've pretty much lost the ability to self-censor. Some random crap is finding its way through my fingers into the internets. Fortunately, I've been able to satisfy my desire to email and post inane, possibly offensive jokes by sending everything to Will, who is being astoundingly patient with me today. Thanks, Will!

So a bunch of bike gamers participated in my study. Those kids are the most competitive people I've ever met. This has been evident to me from the getgo, but the "Go for a High Score!" nature of my experiment prompted some intense rivalry. The competiton was hotly contested, but that's only because BeastMaster didn't have a chance to blow everyone away.

Burger King food is disgusting, but only slightly less so than Burger King coffee. Why does the campus coffee shop close so damn early?!?

Tables are boring and ugly, but they're the only means I have to present my results from the Grasp-Recognition study. My acronym is cool, though: Grasp Recognition for Automated Prosthetic Learning (GRAPL). How appropriate! How clever!

Seriously, I can't keep this up much longer.

1 comment:

TheJenksster said...

You should've made it a recursive acronym:

GRAPL- GRAPL Recognition for Automated Prosthetic Learning.