Sunday, March 18, 2007

Blood, Sweat, and Torn Clothing

Will wrote up today's ride for the Rutgers blog, and once again, I'm too lazy to reproduce a previously-created blog post.

I will, however, add more detail to Will's account of my wipeout. I got tossed out of a rut in the ice and overcompensated, resulting in a low-side crash. I slid about 10-20 yds on my left hip. It is tender now.

My reaction to the crash was so pro! I didn't stick my hand out, so that while my elbow is a little banged up, my collarbone, shoulder, and wrist are intact. I was sliding on ice, unclipped, so that when I reached the end of the ice (and the beginning of the asphalt) I was able to spring to my feet, avoiding real damage. By the time SpikyHairWill and the Angry one were turned around, I was looking for my lost bar-end.

The only real damage was to my bibtights. The tear was actually on the posterior (rather than the side), where the gluteus and hamstring "intersect". This part of my body never touched the ground. It's also unlikely that the tights twisted while I fell... if my body was rotating clockwise, as you'd expect with a low-side crash to the left, then the anterior of my tights would be damaged. This leads me to believe that a shard of ice snagged the tights, which is supported by the torn (as opposed to shredded") nature of the damage.

Whatever. My sexy newish bibtights, which have kept me delightfully warm since November, are in dire need of mending. As is my sexy newish skinsuit, which I damaged at 'Cross Nats. Time to find me some elastic thread and a sewing kit.

3 comments:

ntw said...

I've been using non elastic thread with no ill results.

I'm sorry to hear you busted your tights.

As captain of the ship, I led you into danger...

I am a bad captain

TheJenksster said...

Go to the Italian guy in HP. If you can understand what he says, I think you get a discount.

Mandy said...

silly don-
i can sew like nobody's business. bring them to your next race in connecticut (clean!) and i will py my craft. just an excuse to say hi to you and your crew, really.
ciao