Saturday, March 17, 2007

Good Movies and Bad Parents

This has been a weekend of good movies, at least thus far. To make the time fly while riding the trainer, Will and I watched one of the best movies of all time.

Written by a Phi Psi about a Phi Psi, this classic has romance, comedy, drama, and edge-of-your-seat bike racing action all rolled into one. It is, perhaps, a little lame that we were able to recite the movie almost line for line. Whatever. "Mama! The Italians are coming!" Classic.

Last night, knowing that we wouldn't be racing at the now-cancelled Grant's Tomb crit, we went to see The 300.

Once again, let me emphasize how pissed I am that the weekend's races were cancelled. The rallying speeches and "Death or Glory" nature of the movie made us very much want to tear peoples' legs off.

What irks me is that people brought their kids to the 11pm show. Kids who couldn't be older than 6. The movie was insanely loud (another topic I could rant about), and it was very graphic, both explicit sexuality and intense violence. I'd imagine those kids had nightmares. The sexy scenes were certainly ruined by their giggles about the womens' exposed naughty parts.

It's cool that these parents were spending time with their kids. And hey, who doesn't like the movies? Still, this strikes me as so inappropriate that I wonder where the line is drawn between poor common sense and criminal child abuse.

1 comment:

Hardtail For Life said...

It's not even a question of appropriate or not. You should not have your kids out that late.

Jay