Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Girls are Made of Rib

...and we are all descended from Noah's family. The world was created in 6 days, and Adam named all the animals in the 24 hours of the 6th day. The world was completely flooded a few thousand years ago, which explains some geological structures that might otherwise lead you to believe that the world is billions of years old. Kangaroos and Koala bears emigrated from the Ark's final stop (Turkey, they say) to Australia via a land-bridge that is now covered by ocean so you can't see it or prove its existence. I have a girlfriend, but you don't know her... she lives in Canada.

It is infinitely frustrating to me that people actually believe this stuff. Apparently the Creation Museum (located in Kentucky... road trip, anyone?) has a diorama showing men and dinosaurs coexisting... in fact, they have a SADDLED TRICERATOPS. I wonder if Cain and Abel had pets?

Religion doesn't bother me, per se. To each his own. I don't do well with sermons, but I'd never tell you to stop going to church. However, when the core of your faith is the outright denial of science, and when you are actively, openly trying to force your religion into classrooms, then we've got a problem.

I looked up an article on "Young-Earth Creationism" on Wikipedia (perhaps because I'm an undergrad writing a research paper). You should read it too. Go on, read it. It's simultaneously terrifying and hilarious - not unlike PeeWee's Playhouse.

There's a link at the end to a fantastic website, Answers in Genesis. Curious about which politicians hoping to be President think that scientific discourse is equivalent to the disproof of evolution? Read about it here. There is an article encouraging parents to raise their children with a "Biblical Worldview", consulting the bible for all major decisions and interpreting it literally. I suppose they skip the part where every teenager ever should be put to death.

Hell, while you're at it, go to bible.com and search for the phrase "put to death". Here, I did it for you. Dylan wasn't kidding when he said "everybody must get stoned" (ooh, that was a bad pun).

Will sent me a link to a video. It is worth watching. Enjoy, my fellow monkeys.

1 comment:

megA said...

Kentucky makes me think of my first husband's family. . .

most of them are hardcore Baptists. They believe the Bible, don't get out much, and live simply--many of the older generation were farmers.

My ex once told me the saddest story: His grandparents were coming up from Kentucky to the DC area (where Mike grew up) for a long visit. The family planned a bunch of touristy stuff--one of which was the Smithsonian's Natural History Museum.

Long story short--grandpa went missing at the end of the tour, and when the family backtracked, they found him at the evolution display. He was sitting on a bench in front of the display, head in hands, sobbing.

The thing is, Mike never asked if he was sobbing b/c everything he thought was the Truth was in fact not, or, if he was sobbing b/c of the heresey in which the world was living.

Complete faith scares me.