Tuesday, May 15, 2007

My Rahway Cherry

There is a weekly practice race in Rahway. The guys have been on my case for a while now to race it, and today I finally caved. 4 miles to HP, 15 miles to Rahway, 30 mile race, and back. Wicked windy, 2 corners, lots of fun. Because it's a practice race, there's a wide range of skill levels, Cat5 through Cat1. When somebody gets dropped, they just wait for the pack to catch them, then get back in.

I'm so spent. I went off the front a couple of times, once in a group of 5 and once by myself because I miscounted the number of laps left AGAIN. This isn't a Cat 5 race. It was nice to be in a race where I wasn't able to ride at the front the whole time, where I couldn't move around in the pack at will, a race that lasts longer than 30 minutes... I really need to upgrade categories.

Will said, "your performance today has earned you a lot of respect, but it makes your lack of results this year that much lamer", or something to that effect.

Jenks won* again. Word up.

Let me point out that right now, I'm completely spent. I could barely peel myself off the couch. Today was hard, and I survived, but now I'm in the hurt-box. The race ended at 7, it's now 10:30, and I can finally take a deep breath without having a coughing fit.

Due to my considerable fatigue and aversion to blog-based embarassment, I'm going to put myself on double-secret verbal probation. If I let this post get any longer, I'm liable to do something obnoxious like make a pun or reference Clone High.

Seacrest out.

No comments: