Monday, September 24, 2007

Gone Clubbin'

In what may have been my last well-advised hurrah for a while, I decided to try something new. Not new like venture-beyond-two-miles-from-home, or like take-a-risk-in-any-way, this was more of a hmm-never-been-to-this-bar new.

I received an ornate invitation to a cocktail party at Perle, a club I'd never before heard of, from the Harvest Moon's well-connected manager Dario. Maybe I'm just lucky, or maybe I've spent way too much money at his bar over the past 12 months. Who cares?! I'd scored a ticket for myself and some friends to an exclusive (or so I thought) party in one of New Brunswick's hottest hot spots.
Will, Heidi, and Don
We're not sure what Will's looking at

For my entourage, I chose Will and Heidi. It was an easy decision; Heidi is a 5'10" Bavarian bombshell with a penchant for red dresses, and Will is more than metro enough to distract any homosexual gentlemen's attention.
Will's patented look is called Le Tigre

Perle was okay. It was definitely a bit too Euro-techno for my taste, although that was right up Heidi's and Will's respective alleys. There was a guy playing Latin-style drums in the corner, in sync with whatever the DJ was playing... this was weird, and made for uncomfortably loud trips to the restroom. Even weirder was the DJ's mash-up of Plain White T's Hey There Delilah. Nothing kills a party like emo-techno.

This is the sort of club that has the possibility of making New Brunswick a trendy, happening place. Like a Havana for Boston, this could be the 21st century's answer to Marlon Brando's pre-Castro getaway. If you like dancing. Which I don't.

After some drinks and some dancing, we did some walking in search of classy bars with cheap covers, cheap drinks, and minimal undergrads. Which took us back to Harvest Moon, my beloved little brewery. Then we went home, where we proceeded to make the most of our inebriation.

First of all, there was 3/4 of a bottle of Cream Sherry to polish off. This feat alone is worthy of at least 6 blog posts, but I'll restrain myself to just one in the coming days.
Cream Sherry is the devil

Hunger struck with a vengeance... after all, I'd been fasting all day, and not even the box of Zwieback toast I'd scarfed earlier that night had been sufficient. As soon as I mentioned this, Fraulein Heidi sprung into action. Sprang into action? Springed into action.

Heidi owns the kitchen

Stealing two eggs and a loaf of bread from my room, Heidi turned the kitchen into her own personal playground. She grabbed bowls, pans, utensils, and it was all we could do to stay out of her way. She was a whirlwind. Next thing I knew, I had a stack of French Toast sitting in front of me. French Toast with cinnamon. I could've cried.

Now that we were all, to some degree or other, drunk and well-fed, we settled onto the living room couch (now unofficially known as Heidi's 2nd home) and put a movie in the DVD player. The bottle of Cream Sherry was passed back and forth, generally skipping over Heidi, who was sober enough to trick Will and me into drinking more than our shares. As the credits rolled, Will and I stumbled down the hall to our bedrooms, leaving Heidi to her allegedly-comfortable couch.

Today's photos have been brought to you by Heidi's camera. This is the same camera that would've provided photos from Thursday night's Karaoke adventure, had I not accidentally deleted them all. It's not my fault! The camera is in German! Who among you can tell the difference between "alles loeschen" (delete all) and "abbrechen" (cancel)?!

2 comments:

Flanimal said...

gotta love clubbin'

wait, no you don't.

sounds like a fun night. Don, more and more I find myself living vicariously through you and your adventures!

Cheers!

Hardtail For Life said...

What is it with foreigners and not wanting to buy electronics that the rest of us can use?