Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Turning Japanese oh yes I'm turning Japanese I really think so

There is just too much wacky stuff going on in Japan for me to continue indulging in my stubborn monolingualism (which is a surprisingly low-scoring word in Scrabble). I swear, that whole country is Pee Wee's Playhouse writ large. It seems like there's no difference between a research laboratory and a gameshow in the land of the Rising Sun. I love it!

I wish, I wish, I wish there were subtitles in this video...

Fortunately, I've sat through enough presentations about visuomotor adaptation to appreciate the awesomeness of this little experiment. For example, watch how they totally lose the ball once it's out of their field of vision. We could talk about this study, or about this study. The brain is a beautiful thing, especially when you start peeking in.
Results from a study that asks,
'What if they'd kept wearing the binoculars?'

Instead, let's just continue to chuckle at the slapstick mishaps of the striped-pajama footballers.

Update:
Upon further investigation, we can draw further conclusions about the creators that gameshow. They are enamored of physical comedy, an obsession that is only exceeded by their affinity for stripey pajamas. Also, they really hate fat guys. Observe:

No comments: