Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Man of Equilibrium

I can't help but be amused by a recent turn of events, namely the utter imbalance in my daily life.

On the positive side of the ledger, there's a whole lot of positive: the academics. Whether it was destiny or the result of hard work, things are going well. It feels very much like my brain is firing on all cylinders. Listen to that baby purr!

The negative side, however, is pretty damn negative. I haven't done anything more physical than walking the 5 minutes from my apartment to my lab since HPCX... and that includes stretching, which I desperately need. The problems, stemming from tight tendons across my knee (damn you, you powerful sexy hamstrings!), have trickled down the kinematic pathways to other muscles, which are now very unhappy with me.

Compounding this, there's the fact that I've been pulling way too many late nights at the lab for the past few months, including an 18 hour code-fest yesterday. Sitting in front of a computer for so many hours has let my posture simply fall apart, and lord knows I needed the sleep I sacrificed to the Labview gods. Add a weeklong head cold from hell, and blend for a delicious daquiri of discomfort.

I feel like that geriatric professor you see in the Student Center, mumbling to himself about trajectory optimization or some such nonsense as he limps towards the coffee shop.

The big question is whether I'm happy with the current situation, whether I'd rather be on my game mentally or physically. That's easy! Progress is fleeting, certainly moreso than some ancillary bodyaches. You can pop an Aleve, but you can't pop a dissertation.

Besides, if nothing else, I'm a glutton for punishment.

---------------------------------------------------

After having added the non-sequitur image above, I couldn't resist adding this video...

It's a fun watch, and an Academy Award winner, too. For some insight into the mind of NinjaDon, though, pay special attention to the hands and their interaction with the chess pieces. This is groundbreaking, beautiful work, even for the late 90s.

No comments: