Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Let's Get Some Shoes

In the middle of what I've been calling the luckiest month of my life, my cycling shoes broke. Both pairs. The buckle on the road shoe just snapped off, and the buckle on the MTB shoe no longer stays tight.

Awesome.

Since the MTB shoes are just barely on the wrong side of usable, I've been riding with them for a month. "Just barely on the wrong side" is still on the wrong side, and I quickly developed a pretty wicked knee pain. Wicked, like "hey can you pick me up at a coffee shop in Princeton? Kthx"

I'd already ordered new shoes before the onset of pain, so I'm taking time off the bike until those come in. Specialized shoes are totally sweet, at least the 2nd-tier shoes I've been using, and I can't wait to ride in the Pro-ish carbon versions.

Seriously, I can't wait. Riding again in these broken shoes is tantamount to pissing in the wind, even more painful (but less smelly). So I'm not riding. It's been two weeks. Goodbye, fitness. Goodbye, sanity.

My appetite is gone, I have less energy, sleep doesn't come easy, and I've spent too much time in front of the TV. I miss the road, and I miss the trails.

At least I didn't have elective back surgery.

No comments: