Thursday, May 08, 2008

Smooth

Today I rode Second Bridge.


Notice how this route goes almost exclusively along rivers.

During most seasons, these roads are fine, if a little chilly. Pretty, too. Around this time of year, though, riding along rivers means riding through cloud after cloud of gnats.

I don't mind swatting the little buggers out of my arm hair, even when I have to do so with great frequency and gusto. The line, though, is drawn at slapping my face to get them out of my beard.

After beating myself silly for two hours, all while trying to breathe with my mouth closed and blink the dead bug out of my eye, I realized that it is high time to shave.

So tonight I shaved.

Once again, I miss my beard.

Despite the forecast of rain, I need to get outside again soon. A month of bearded riding in the sun has given me mild tan lines on my face, and it just seems silly.

No comments: