Monday, June 09, 2008

Music Review: MeeWee

I'm at that in-between age where some of my friends are flirting with undergrads, and others are having children. Real, live, honest-to-goodness mini-people! This post is intended for the latter... the former may enjoy it too, though, I promise.

Flantastic Dan has been working on an album for kids, producing quite a few of the songs and investing a lot of himself in this project. The album is now availabe on iTunes, and the project's website is an absolute hoot.

The project is called MeeWee, and the album is entitled "MeeWee: Hip-Hop for Kids".

Yes.

Hip-Hop for Kids.

The MC of this troupe is a delightful youngster named Jabari Jones, a rather animated frontman (see what I did there? It was a pun). I would give just about anything to hear his prepubescent vocals in a rap-battle with the likes of Eminem or 50 Cent.

The lyrics these songs boast are positive and uplifting. They're perfect for your little ones, because frankly, "The Wheels on the Bus" is enough to drive anyone loony and have you ever even listened to the infanticidal lyrics of "Rockabye Baby"?

I did a little research, and it seems that these guys aren't the first to make a rap song for kids. However, MeeWee's only predecessor, Barney's Gangsta Rap (NSFW), just doesn't seem very age-appropriate. Hilarious, certainly, but not fit for toddlers.

That's where MeeWee comes in. With all sorts of rugrats being brought up by my contemporaries, it is my duty as a well respected, internationally renowned blogger to recommend MeeWee to the parents.

Actually, I was a little worried about writing this post. I didn't want to risk my credibility, as is inevitable when writing a positive review for a good friend's project. This concern was easily overcome, though, when I realized that this is a tiny blog with a limited readership, and I don't really have any real credibility to lose!

Okay, no more jokes. In all seriousness, I think this would be a great album for a parent to buy to entertain their toddler... and what a change of pace from the usual child-targeted fare!

Anyway, the website speaks for itself. Check it out: www.meewee.com. May I recommend "HipHop-opotamus"?

No comments: