Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Good Science

A good empiricist is cold, rational, and objective to the core. There is no desire in research, neither passion nor promise.

The science doesn't care what you want, it just is what it is. We should not care what it is, we should let it be.

Wouldn't it be nice if that's how it actually works?

Will
loves calling me out at the first hint subjectivity. At one level, he's absolutely right to do so. On the other hand, I can't help it, and I'm not sure I want to. The thing is, when my results are good, it's not just good for my thesis; there is a direct result, right in front of me, in real human terms.

One of my subjects today had been in a car accident in the 90s. Since then, she's had impaired fine motor control, which is why she was participating.

Apparently, motor function isn't her only deficit. When I asked her how old she was, she gave me a look. "I do need to know your age," I prodded. "Umm." "Okay, what year were you born?"

She got flustered, she stammered and apologized and it broke my heart. She couldn't remember her age, or her birth year, and I was just pouring salt in the wound. What an asshole.

It took her more than two minutes to complete a simple task that would take you 20 seconds. She apologized more, the frustration wrinkling her brow. I tried to tell her not to worry about it.

After 10 minutes of using the device that is my thesis, she redid the task. Even though she was tired from training, she knocked 30 seconds off her time. THIRTY SECONDS. And that's just the simple result. Qualitatively, she was less tremorous, had smoother tone, and much better dexterity... and she knew it.

You tell me: How in the hell am I supposed to stay objective after seeing the smile on her face?

I am happy that my results fit my hypothesis. Report me to the Review Board, please.