Monday, March 02, 2009

Half Baked

It is a truly miserable feeling, running out of energy mid-workout and with no food. That feeling, that abject sense of exhausted desperation, is only slightly worse than the feeling you get when you buy the overpriced energy bars that stave off that wretched bonk.

Sick of paying 2-plus dollars for every bar, I resolved to make my own, and for a fraction of the cost! This was 2005. It has taken me this long to work up the ambition to attempt this noble feat.

And yet here I am, on the cusp of greatness. While grocery shopping today, I felt the urge to experiment, and with the aid of my fancy new toy, the necessary ingredients were procured. I have enough left over to make about 5 more batches, which would bring the price per bar to just about $0.15.

No one has ever accused me of being a baker. The stove top is my comfort zone, and I can stir fry with the most mediocre of them. The oven, though, is a mystery to me, a magical cavern of mysticism and convection. Still, recipes can't be that hard, can they? Right?

Don't be fooled by that fake-foreshadowing. The whole process was actually ridiculously easy. Observe!

  • 2 c. uncooked Quaker Multi-Grain cereal
  • 3/4 c. raisins
  • 1/4 c. diced pitted prunes
  • 3/4 c. flour
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1 tsp. b. soda
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 c. vegetable oil
  • 1/2 c. brown sugar
  • large egg
  • 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 2 tsp. vanilla

Step 1:Whisk the oil, eggs, and brown sugar.

Step 2: Mix in the applesauce and vanillaThe mixture should now resemble baby spit-up. You will wonder whether you've made a mistake; you have not. Carry on!

Step 3: Add everything else.
Mix until homogeneous.

Step 4: Pour into a greased 9x13 pan
Step 5: Bake at 350 for 35 minutes. Also, you should have preheated the oven to 350.

That's where I'm at. The bars are currently half-baked (hence the title), and the suspense is killing me. I cleaned up, I paced around the kitchen, and now I'm blogging. The smell has filled the air, and the apartment is abuzz with anticipation. I'll let you know how they turned out.

In the meantime, here are the lessons I learned while baking:
  • Make sure to have all the ingredients before starting. Apparently my apartment has 6 times as much baking soda as flour. There was plenty of cinnamon, though.
  • A kitchen can never have enough measuring utensils.
  • Brown sugar is a delicious pain in the ass.
  • Whisks are much better for mixing large volumes of liquid than are forks.
  • Whisks are a poor choice for mixing clumpy, sticky batters. Whisks are little prisons for the clumps.
  • You're never too old to lick the spoon

UPDATE:

Success! Kind of! A good first attempt, anyway. They could be sturdier, like less mushy. Not sure how to go about fixing that... longer oven time? more oats? less applesauce?

Suggestions, please?

And yes, that is a tiny ninja, guarding the bars.

UPDATE #2:

These bars need a name. Therefore, a contest:

You have until March 15th to suggest a name. The winner gets a free batch of the bars.

9 comments:

CaptainChaz said...

Don, seriously, I love you ... oops, I've said too much.

I can't believe that to properly nourish one's self on a ride, it is supposed to cost $1 to $1.50 an hour! I am toying with making my own drink mix starting with Endurolytes powder and then adding sugars and flavoring(s). I hope that it takes me less than four years to finish figuring out where to buy a good blend of sugars.

I need to win some of these bars, and then start making some myself.

um... DONuts, as in Dunkin' DONuts, where we meet up for cross races. Of course, we'll have to pronounce these treats Don-uts.

On P-ton rides, we can stop at small world and actually use them as Dunkin' DONuts. If you are concerned about infringing on a registered trademark, then we can call them Dunkin' DONutz, pronounced the same as above.

At no time will these bars be pronounced Don-nuts, for they will instantly become unpalatable (to most).

CaptainChaz said...

2nd entry: Ninja-Nom
3rd entry: Ninja-Nom-Nom-Nom-Nom-Nom

Anonymous said...

Sweet mother of mercy this was an awesome post.

"that abject sense of exhausted desperation, is only slightly worse than the feeling you get when you buy the overpriced energy bars"

"I can stir fry with the most mediocre of them"

The crowning gem was the ninja, though. Was he fired from a ninja gun?

TheJenksster said...

REAL ULTIMATE POWER BARS

Olivia said...

What about "Don's Bonk-No-More Bars"? These sound so good, Don! I am really excited to try the recipe myself!

Milky Manchester said...

Ninja Don's Walking On Sunshine Supreme Bars of Energy. Not sure if Katrina is going to want royalties on that.

Andy said...

Ninja XXXXXXXtreme Barz!!!!
You can then come out with flavors like Red Bull and Mountain Dew.

megA said...

oh my! ninja nom nom nom bars is very very funny! it could be shortened to (n)3 which would be "en cubed" but i have no idea how to superscript on a blogger comment box.

Meredith said...

I know I'm late but I vote for the MoreSports Bars. :)