Saturday, May 09, 2009

Responsibility

This is me at my most hypocritical: I hate when people don't take responsibility for their mistakes.

I read an advice letter from salon.com that, based on the title, I expected to be about the economy. It was not. Here's a highlight:
Everybody just assumed that because I was book-smart, I would be life-smart, and nobody pressured me to plan out what I wanted to do with my life.

I've also been so sheltered that I can't give directions to my own home, nor do I keep track of how much money there is in my bank account. Basically, I haven't had to learn the ins and outs of daily independent living and it's driving me insane, because I am 25 AND I HAVE A HARVARD DEGREE! ...

I don't have to worry about paying the bills (my parents take care of it all) so there's no external motivation to get serious.
So this total failure is blaming everyone but himself for his shortcomings. Fine. He's from an Ivy League school up North... what more should we expect from him?

What if he wasn't a coddled, silver-spoon-fed creampuff? What if he was a battle-hardened national hero from the cobblestones of Belgium?
"I need help," he told sporza.be. "Someone should teach me to understand what happens when I drink too much."
For goodness' sake.

1 comment:

Will said...

What a goofball. You can spot these kids in college, before they even get to such a state of meta laziness (I'll write an article about my woes, but I wont extend the same effort to address them..) They have majors in subjects like visual music or contextual juggling. They paid their dues in high school and coast through college with their thick-rimmed black glasses in the library cafe. Their only true skill is the 5-7 page pseudo-intellectual B+ essay. Gotta make it into the old boys club or face the ivy league fallout!