Thursday, April 09, 2009

Don on Vacation

It may come as no surprise whatsoever that I have work to do on vacation. "Relax," they say, "you're in Florida! You're with your family, and you haven't a care in the world"

Tell that to the giant stack of homeworks I had to grade!

As per our unilateral agreement, I will not be posting about the qualities of my students. It would be an ill-advised blog that lists the many, many adjectives that could describe the discipline, critical thinking, and self-reliance of my beloved students. So we won't be talking about their qualities. In public.

What I can talk about is their quantities. There are a lot of them. Dozens and dozens, and also dozens. 91 students means 91 homeworks (minus those who choose to accept the goose-egg, bless their hearts). Generally about three to five minutes per homework. Do the math, and cringe.

Yes, I am in Florida, and I brought the giant stack of homeworks with me. I may not be a PRO cyclist, but damned if I'm not a PRO academician. Which is probably better.

Gripe though I might (and did, and will) about the cruel injustice of grading while on vacation, there was one huge mitigating factor:

This is the view from my desk